Tuesday, April 27, 2010

More updates

Today I went to see a dentist about my front teeth, which still are a little loose and still hurt when I bite something. He said that he thought there had probably been some mild shifting. I'll return in a few weeks and have some teeth shaved down. Hopefully that will solve the problem. He also seemed to think braces and even a retainer won't be necessary. Hopefully he's correct.

Inspired by how well things were going, I tried eating a carrot last week. To say that didn't turn out to be a good plan would be a mammoth understatement. Trying to use my front teeth to bite into it was about as effective as trying to use my nose to bite into it. They weren't strong enough or anchored enough and it hurt.

I then tried just using my molars, a very attractive method (try eating a carrot by putting into the side of your mouth to bite into it). My right side, where the accident had occurred, couldn't chew it at all. My left could, leaving me with jaw spasms severe enough to require Vicodin.

If eating a vegetable leaves you needing heavy pain medications after doing so, it's a good sign that eating the vegetable was a bad idea.

Fortunately, my birthday was the next day and all that required was that I get through a piece of cake. Much safer. Still, I opted for a soft foods diet that day, after the previous day's trauma. Chocolate pudding went down just fine though.

--K--

2 comments:

  1. Carrots are pretty hard. I wasn't supposed to try anything that hard until about 9 weeks after I was first able to open my mouth (12 weeks post-accident). Even then, it wasn't a particularly fun experience. It only hurt a little bit, but it took a ridiculously long time.

    Also, happy belated birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. See I always knew raw veggies are bad for you. Just saute with a good amount of porkfat in them and they go down much easier. Actually a good carrot recipe I have is:
    Cut carrots on the bias about 1/4 in thick (you could go smaller for easier chewing)
    Heat saute pan, add pat of butter
    Add carrots and saute until somewhat tender (about 5 min on med heat).
    Pour in some ginger ale (amount depends on amount of carrots) enough to coat the bottom of the pan with about a 1/4 inch or liquid.
    Reduce heat, cover and let steam till liquid is gone..
    Serve warm, I add a dash of cayenne pepper before serving but you can omit.

    Enjoy
    Chef Tom

    ReplyDelete