Wednesday, March 17, 2010

My experience as a patient

I'm writing today's column inspired by being angry at my latest physician visit.

This morning, I had an MRI. I knew that I would be in a small tube and that claustrophobia could be a concern.

What I didn't know was that I would have to listen to extremely loud noise for 30 minutes. The technician asked if I had any questions before starting the procedure. I thought I knew what was going to happen. Asking, "Will it sound like I will be listening to jackhammers the entire time?" didn't occur to me. Go figure.

It would have taken an extra 45 seconds to explain what was going to happen. I did a lot of deep breathing and visualization and got through it, but it was unnecessarily stressful because I wasn't given even basic information.

I am a researcher. I have been conducting research for most of 30 years. I have a lot of respect for the research on which Western Medicine is built. I understand how a good investigation is conducted. And I get frustrated when people just dismiss Western approaches because they don't understand research, and embrace Eastern because what sometimes sounds like "magic" is easier to comprehend.

Up until this accident, I have probably given lip service to seeing the need for a balance between Eastern and Western Medicine. But I didn't really "get" it. I do now. Western Medicine, as it is PRACTICED, can be very alienating. I don't mean my experience with individual practitioners; there are some whose intelligence and compassion have been exemplary. But the field as a whole has a lot to learn from its counterparts.

I think if Eastern Medicine were practiced with the often same lack of regard for the individual, interest in it would decline exponentially. There has to be a better way to do this.

--K--

2 comments:

  1. Too bad they didn't give you the earphones with music, or better yet tell you there are OPEN MRI machines that are much more less stressful. I found out the hard way that I was clostrophobic when I went to have the procedure, had to leave and come back under sedation for the next go round. Also, had a standing MRI. It appears they never want the patient to have too much information, because perhaps it could be HARMFUL to be well informed. love r.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Basic common sense...
    (1) ask patient if they've ever had an MRI before...
    (2) If answer is "no" then tell them what to expect

    ...unfortunately the idiots do get to reproduce a lot of the time. Darwinism is a statistical long-term process and apparently there is no strong selection criteria on those who design basic patient education protocols...

    ReplyDelete