Sunday, February 21, 2010

February 21, 2010

Hi everyone. I've never created a blog before but thought I'd try this. I can't recall who knows what. By writing a blog, I won't have to bore folks by repeating the same story and confusing others when I leave out key pieces, thinking they've already heard it.

Before proceding...I want to emphasize that I feel extremely touched by the outpouring of support and offers of assistance. Even from strangers...the staff at the hotel couldn't be nicer (and, from what I understand, everyone knows me). I am grateful too that all this support helps ease Jake's burden, even just to know that he can lean on friends and family if needbe.

What happened and where things stand...

Jake and I took the boys to FL for their February break and decided to try a segway tour. Here is a segway, for those of you unfamiliar with this device.

http://hastyruminations.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/segway11.jpg

See how the gentleman looks like he could go flying forward at a moment's notice? I clipped something I didn't see, and that's what resulted. Landed face first. It happened so fast (you travel about 13 mph) that I didn't put out my hands to brace the impact. I was later told by Jake and my brother Al, also with us, that they thought I was possibly dead as I was lying in a huge pool of blood and didn't move. I wish I had had the fortune of passing out but I remember everything and recall being in severe pain.

Some nice doctors from Spain happened to be jogging in the area and helped calm everyone and get me to a very nearby hospital. X-rays showed that I'd broken my jaw, nose, occipital bones, and several other facial bones, a vertebrae, and a rib. I am extremely fortunate that I survived and that I am not paralyzed.

I was in the hospital for three days (they don't keep you long anymore). The kids were sent home to their mother. Jake is still here in FL with me. There are several doctors involved, but the main doctor with whom I've been working is a facial surgeon. He will be doing 4 hours of surgeries on Monday (outpatient). It's too unsafe for me to travel and if I wait, I will have to have the bones rebroken and reset. No thank you.

I don't have a good understanding yet of all that will be happening or how long we will be in FL (at least another week or longer). I do know that my jaw will be wired shut for roughly 6 weeks. Not being able to talk for that long should qualify me for disability payments. :-) I've been looking up with to eat and how to cope and it is amazing how much information is available on the Web.

The pain and swelling have lessened daily, though I suspect that will change with the surgeries Monday. I am currently limited to liquids and soft foods, restricted to only liquids starting tomorrow. I took a short walk yesterday, which I know is good for faster healing and maintaining a positive mental state. I was thrilled to be outside but surprised how exhausted I was at the end of this two-block adventure.

I'm being uncharacteristically patient with this process so far. Who knows? Maybe I'll learn a little while I'm going through this....

--Karen--

7 comments:

  1. Cuz - You have the most amazingly positive attitude, and we are soooooooo impressed!!! Please blog your heart-out so that all of us who love you, and are thinking about you, will be kept in the loop and up to date. Lot of love, cuz's Lance & Cary

    p.s. We highly recommend getting the juice attachment for your easy bake oven, so you can liquefy your meals for a while...JUST SAYIN' :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay Karen.

    Love from ... somebody? ... Kaki

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, you're being thought about in the middle of Indiana!! And yes, apparently this is what it takes for me to catch up with you - boy am I lame! I'm sure the "silence" is torture, so I'm glad you found the blog outlet. I'll keep thinking pretty thoughts!!
    Big giant (but gentle) hugs,
    Cris

    ReplyDelete
  4. HI KAREN....
    SENDING HEALING VIBES AND POSITIVE THOUGHTS...

    ReplyDelete
  5. check out www.walksf.org/segways/ tons of love from Rocky

    ReplyDelete
  6. Karen:
    You are in our thoughts and prayers here in Newport! Please know all of us SPFers are wishing you the best with this! Keep the faith Karen and my best to Jacob!
    Ray

    ReplyDelete