Thursday, February 10, 2011

One Year Post-Accident on Feb. 17!!

Hard to believe it was a year ago on Feb. 17 that my accident on a Segway occurred. In honor of the event, I looked at some photos taken 3 days post-accident. Not pretty.

Looking at them made me cringe (and a little nauseous), as well as sad at all that had happened and that I went through. And reminded me of how far I've come. I still experience some lip numbness, and my teeth and bite will never be the same. But compared to what could have happened, I'll take it!

This seems as good a time as any to again recognize and thank the wonderful friends and family members who provided so much love and encouragement during my many months of recovery. Thank you. Your support made all the difference and I feel so fortunate and blessed to have such wonderful people in my life!!

--K--

6 comments:

  1. I have been very blessed reading through your blog as I have my own adventures requiring me to be wired shut. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad this has been helpful Brenda. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your blog. I am about a year and a half behind you in the recovery process. I broke my chin and left side of my mandible on Sept 16, 2011. It's a relief to hear about other peoples struggles with this knowing that I'm not alone. Thankfully I was able to chew (as opposed to cutting food really small and swallowing) for the first time two days before thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck, Anonymous! Glad you were able to enjoy Thanksgiving. I rarely come here anymore, as now it's been nearly two years. There's a more active and very supportive group on www.shockandjaw.com.

    Good luck to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Karen! I recently looked through your blog and found your commentary on your experience with jaw fixation both compelling and well-written. I haven't read through the whole thing (got through February), so I know there is a lot more exploring for me to do. However, I am really interested in learning some of the finer details about your experience. I'm on a team currently investigating ways to improve upon traditional jaw fixation techniques (e.g. arch bars) in hopes of developing a safer, more comfortable solution. Would you be interested in answering a few questions via email?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sure. What is your email address?

    ReplyDelete